This text is the first time in which the word "caseria" or hamlet is mentioned in writing in the history of Vizcaya, which signifies the historical character of the place known as Nafarrola.
According to the book Bizkaia, Arqueología, Urbanismo y Arquitectura, the oldest document that is preserved in which Biscay farmhouses are mentioned, mention is made of Nafarrola; the following is cited:
“Bermeo has the privilege of preserving the oldest documentary reference in Bizkaia of the existence of farmhouses. It dates back to the extension of the terms of the extension of the town granted in 1285, and it refers to houses still existing with their original names in the Artigas valley: Nafarrola and Atxearen. Unfortunately no building from that time has been preserved to this day."
This circumstance has led to the hamlet being included as an area of archaeological presumption.
In the catalog of the Historical archive of the Provincial Council of Bizkaia, there is a document from 1590, it is a deed of guarantee granted by Domingo del Puerto, in favor of his brother San Juan, absent, and his niece Luisa del Puerto , forcing himself not to go against the assets of María Martínez de Belaostegui, a neighbor of Bermeo, or Martín de Areilza, the latter being the depositary of the money resulting from the purchase of the “Nafarrola” farmhouse made by María Martínez de Belaostegi from Luisa e Gana, deceased woman of San Juan del Puerto.
In the same Historical Catalog, there is a document from 1633, which includes these others:
- Deed of possession of a house located on Arostegi street, the Nafarrola farmhouse in the middle, several vineyards, apple orchards and empty lands, located in the jurisdiction of Villa e Bermeo, granted in favor of María San Juan de Umerez, in it, on January 19, 1633, before Juan de Madariaga.
- Marriage contract of Domingo de Larrinaga and Maria San Juan de Mundaca, given in Bermeo, on August 8, 1611, before Juan de Mugica.
- Deed of possession of the Nafarrola de en medio farmhouse, located in Alboniga, of ten heads of cattle, twenty heads of sheep, thirteen goats, some vineyards, an apple orchard, several pieces of empty land and some houses in the streets of Arostegui, notorious in the jurisdiction of the Villa de Bermeo, granted in favor of María San Juan de Mundaca, there, on May 13, 1632, before the Mayor and the Ordinary Judge.
Above is the first documentation that has been found in which a description can be read that allows the Nafarrola Erdikoa farmhouse to be identified as a property with an age of almost 400 years.
The Nafarrola Erdikoa farmhouse in which the Hotel Nafarrola is located is a construction of special protection for the Basque Government and the Provincial Council of Bizkaia since it is proposed as a monument in the General Urban Planning Plan of Bermeo.
One more historical sample of the area in which the Hotel Nafarrola is framed is a map from 1749, in which the boundaries of hamlets and towns such as Bermeo, Mundaka, Pedernales, ... and also show the old roads of area.
In addition, the area has multiple attractions linked to archaeological remains. The settlement of Tribisburu, the archaeological remains and necropolis on the slopes and peaks of Sollube, Burgoa and Katillotxu ...
Sollube is one of the 5 bocineros mountains of Vizcaya, implying that from the top of this mountain the towns and villages were called by bonfires and sounds to take part in the General Meetings of Gernika. On May 8, the day of the bocineros mountains is celebrated.
And if you are lucky enough to walk through these places, you will also be able to see remains of trenches, batteries and even ammunition from the Spanish Civil War.
All this makes up a heritage and an unparalleled experience of km0.
Nafarrola 1749 Map
Download, observe and get the history of the area in which the Hotel Nafarrola is located.